Sign in to follow this  
SkylineObsession

Tell us your means of transportation

Driving  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What is driving to you?

• A means of getting from A to B. Sometimes from B to A too, but that's about it.
    • Other than necessary A to B driving, i drive because i love it. Speed, corners, sounds and VTEK YO (if applicable)!
    • I don't drive because; i care about the environment/my Mum won't let me/i'm a danger to pedestrians/i don't have eyes.
    • Yes, i do play golf.

How do you get around your city/town/village/farm and why do you use that/those modes, and what do you think of them, and would you replace them, and what would you like to replace them with, or add to your current transportation supply?

Plus other questions, pictures, and jibber jabber about how they work (or not) would be welcome in this topic.

Bus! Broom boom. Its auto driving. I dont have to deal with traffic or anything its great. Only thing thats annoying is when people dont get their shit out 9f their bag to tag on before they get on the bus.

Also have a 330i BMW. Was gonna upgrade to a M3 cos id not mind a v8 but decided not to until i live in a house with a garage. 

I walk most of the time: to and from work, into town etc. If I need to travel a bit further to visit a friend or sometimes coming home from town I catch the bus. I've lived 10-20 minutes walk from the CBD since I was 7 so learning to drive never seemed worth the effort #carfreelife

The only change that would really make my life easier would be more after midnight buses :classic_laugh:

I drive as there's no reasonable public transport option for me in this city. On the odd occasion I have had to get a bus to work, it involved a 20 minute walk to the stop for the route I needed, sitting on it for 50 minutes as it meandered around the mount, then once I finally got to the stop nearest my work, another 20 minute walk. This is, on peak, a 12-15 minute drive. 

The buses here are solely focused on getting people from the suburbs into the CBD, whereas the majority of the workers don't work there. No bus services the massive port/industrial area I work in, or the business park out west.

We're a 30 minute walk from the CBD so if I worked there, or anywhere else closer, I'd walk for sure, but it's a 2hr minute hike to where I am now, and I can't afford to spend 4 hours a day traveling. 

Biking is too scary.

On the weekends we'll often walk places, and we are also lucky to have two supermarkets and the warehouse, as well as a variety of fast food places, within 15-20 minutes walk.

Don't particularly enjoy driving, happy for someone else to do it when possible, mvon doesn't drive though so usually I'm it!

I have 17 motorised vehicles & 11 plates; Depending on distance I may also ride a deadly peadly or walk.

What I will try not to do almost ever is use public transport (exception being recreational ride on the train or something, mostly for the kids). Trains (for work) have let me down too many times, are too slow & too expensive & buses... We'll buses should just be outright banned! Uneconomical, slow, polluting pieces of steel that are driven by people willing to force the "might is right" boat rule upon the roading system

I drive, shift worker finishing sometimes at 3 in the morning there are limited public transport options.

On 30/05/2018 at 8:05 AM, Coffee Addict said:

I drive, shift worker finishing sometimes at 3 in the morning there are limited public transport options.

Same here. However my latest finish is about 2am. I used to take the train to work when I wasn't doing shift work.

mazda6 , a ford courier , 2 minis (rebuilding)

I have two Skylines, nothing as fast as the ones you see on Friday nights though. My turbo one is literally completely standard apart from the big bore exhaust (and it's still automatic, and still has the factory CD player/cassette tape - neither of which work anymore) and the red one is just a little 155hp GTS with a fresh (10-12 years old) paint job and a couple other little things to make it handle a little better in the corners.

I bus... 40 mins walk to work but I am lazy so bus... on weekends Brendan drive us around in  some sort of skyline ...definitely not GTR... I don't really know my cars.... if anything when we see fancy car I have to ask Brendan in game related way...  like that looks like zentono.....???

Train on weekdays, either Honda Fit or X3 in the weekend depending which one is more convenient to take

Well after owning a EV [Electric Vehicle] for a few months now might as well put my thoughts down... They're a fun town vehicle
All torque all the time means they're fun off the line & with constant 'push back' in the seat (like the start of a amusement park ride) as there's no gears to interrupt the flow it just feels more exciting

Where EV's suffer (& prob will do for sometime) is range; even Tesla's "500km range" is best effort, you drive that thing like a normal person you're prob dropping that to 300km & you drive it like a sports car then you're prob only talking 150-200km.
Put the heater on there's 30k's gone, headlights another 10k's gone, hill 15k's gone, head wind 5k's gone etc etc etc some of this is recovered in braking like coming to a stop or going down a hill but it shows EVERYTHING affects a EV's range whereas in a liquid fuelled vehicle you know you'll get say 600km out of your 80L & then come refuelling liquid takes like 5mins to get another 600km, EV takes 20mins to get 80% of their possible range so for most about 80-100km so for a trip of 800km it'll take a liquid fuel 10mins in refuelling whereas it'll take the EV over 3hrs in refuelling 

Still if you run a multi-vehicle fleet like I do & you're not travelling too far on a daily basis then EV is a good financial saving over liquid fuels for the time being (until RUC's are added) and quite fun to drive; If you're wanting a town car I'd definitely recommend looking at one.

@Scuba Steve are you driving the leaf, tesla or other? I have seen a tesla around town but i have seen loads of leafs.

We've got Dean Hall in Dunedin (DayZ creator or whatever) and you can often see his red Tesla Model S around, as well as a white one and an SUV version? Other than that the only electric ones here are the normal Leafs etc from what i've seen.

He's also got a Lamborghini Huracan for days he doesn't give a crap about the environment. ?

Personally i don't like electric cars because they make no sound and don't have gears. Two essential things in a car for me. 

14 minutes ago, Coffee Addict said:

@Scuba Steve are you driving the leaf, tesla or other? I have seen a tesla around town but i have seen loads of leafs.

Leaf, not rich enough for a Tesla. Wouldn't mind going for a blast in 1 tho

9 minutes ago, SkylineObsession said:

Personally i don't like electric cars because they make no sound and don't have gears. Two essential things in a car for me. 

I don't mind the no sound thing, I usually have my music on blast anyways.

I'm a manual RWD person myself but do love the all torque all the time of the electrics. It's kinda like an amusement ride taking off on one

If you really wanted to stretch it you could claim it a manual as you have full control over it's "gear", it's either on or off and completely your choice which 

I'm interested in the EV concept, but we're a single-car household, so the savings from it I don't think would cover its cost, iykwim (I currently use about $65 fuel (full tank) every 2.5-3 weeks)

Although 95% of the time I'm going no more than 15km from home at a time, the occasion we go further and would require something with more range, we'd need to keep the current petrol car for.

Maybe when miss 14 starts driving (early 2020) it would be time to look at one, though.

3 hours ago, sassydot said:

I'm interested in the EV concept, but we're a single-car household, so the savings from it I don't think would cover its cost, iykwim (I currently use about $65 fuel (full tank) every 2.5-3 weeks)

Although 95% of the time I'm going no more than 15km from home at a time, the occasion we go further and would require something with more range, we'd need to keep the current petrol car for.

Maybe when miss 14 starts driving (early 2020) it would be time to look at one, though.

1 of the reasons we bought it was cause we could afford to "test" the idea, as mentioned we're a multi-vehicle fleet & we worked it out to be a 5yr payback in fuel savings at current costs, which are only likely to go up.

Course if the Govt decided to ever introduce RUC's to them they'd prob end up being more expensive to run than a dodge viper with ya foot down, but for now they're subsidised to about as close as you'll get to a free ride

Car won't start. We think its the starter motor boourns. Gonna have to get it towed to the mechanic ?

3 hours ago, djkicks said:

Car won't start. We think its the starter motor boourns. Gonna have to get it towed to the mechanic ?

Have you tried hitting it with a hammer? 
It can sometimes kick it into life if done when turning the key

On 5/08/2018 at 10:47 AM, djkicks said:

Automatic or Manual? Could try pushing the car to jumpstart the engine to see if it starts. If it does, most likely is the starter motor but definitely give it a bit of banging like @Scuba Steve suggested.

Just do it fim but gentle. They have magnets which can dislodge and then it's fucked. It might only need contacts.