ZombieRawkMachine

The Parental Thread

That awesome feeling when your kid starts to recover from an illness. Little one is now asking for food and drink again after 3 days of having to force her to drink to avoid dehydration. Life is good again.

I have never heard the words "Have a good sleep" said as aggressively as my 4 year old tonight.

You could tell he was tossing up having a tantrum but hadn't quite decided if it was worth it.

Daughter home sick today, so I switched off the wi-fi before I left for work :classic_laugh:

She's probably just bought a data binge and watched youtube all day anyway, but I think I made a point

the boy's indoor cricket team is in his league's final tomorrow.

they were bottom placed at the end of the round robin.  

Won last week's semi against the next bottom team, by virtue of the opposition's 4th partnership bombing out at the end (they had to get 15 runs in 4 overs to win, at one point needed 3 to win, finished their 4 overs on -17).

The middle two teams both forfeited their semis due to not being able to field enough players.

So here's these kids, bottom of the table, up against the top team that's smashed every other team each week by at least 50, often closer to 100. 

I think they're been practicing bowling at groins all week.  It's the only chance they've got :classic_laugh:

I told Oliver a few weeks ago, whoever you're partnered up with, you bat first.  Then the other 6 guys coming in after you just have to make runs up if you end up in the negatives, instead of you actually losing you guys the match.  I think after last weeks' match, he gets what I mean.

(He's not too good with the bat, as he has nystagmus. He's got good mates though, they all cheer him on and everyone seems to have taken a turn partnering him)

^Sounds like something out of a movie. 

My missus  told me to be quiet.... just not in those exact words in front of our two year old the other day. Now whenever he doesnt get his way, everybody gets told to f up

Got news from my son's teacher that his reading and maths are falling behind, so his gaming time is getting a massive chop as of tomorrow. Should be fun. 

On the plus side, I won't have to put up with hearing Fortnite as much. 

Good luck. I've made some good use of the family features with microsoft - I can limit his allowed hours on, and also lock that down to a certain number of hours total.  So he's allowed on between 7am and 8pm, but only for two hours total in that time per day.  He gets warning pop up on the screen as his time ticks down, and at the limit it simply signs him out.  

He's not behind in anything, he just turns into a little asshole when he's having too much screentime

My daughter has learned to pretend to go to sleep game. Its were after 10-20 minutes of put down you walk out teh door and you hear a rustle, you look over and she's kneeling looking at you. As soon as you turn she throws herself back on the bed and lets out a chuckle as she pretends to sleep. This lasted 40 minutes, if i left the room it would be met by wailing.

6 minutes ago, Coffee Addict said:

My daughter has learned to pretend to go to sleep game. Its were after 10-20 minutes of put down you walk out teh door and you hear a rustle, you look over and she's kneeling looking at you. As soon as you turn she throws herself back on the bed and lets out a chuckle as she pretends to sleep. This lasted 40 minutes, if i left the room it would be met by wailing.

My son & daughter play the "I forgot" game every-time they reach the bed it's "I need a drink of water", "I need to brush my teeth", "I need to go toilet", "I need to clean up the toys", "I need a story", "I need a song".
This is all of-course one after the other never "I need to do this this & this" and never before getting into bed... Gotta love stalling tactics

On 7/08/2018 at 8:31 PM, Coffee Addict said:

It's frustrating but so dang cute. 

I had to take a stern approach to stamp it out, but my heart broke inside because its so dang cute. 

How olds your daughter now Coffee? 

1 hour ago, Drunk_Monk said:

It's frustrating but so dang cute. 

I had to take a stern approach to stamp it out, but my heart broke inside because its so dang cute. 

How olds your daughter now Coffee? 

16 months and causing carnage ?. Half of me doesn't want to stop it because yes it is cute, but the other half of me wants to crash on the couch with a hot chocolate. How did you stop it with your lad?

I don't remember the exact ages but we just did the usual ignore it. 

I don't think he cried for that but he cries about a lot so I forget which specific things he did cry about.  He's very much his father's son so he's a wuss in every way. 

2 hours ago, Coffee Addict said:

16 months and causing carnage ?. Half of me doesn't want to stop it because yes it is cute, but the other half of me wants to crash on the couch with a hot chocolate. How did you stop it with your lad?

My son was like that around 13 months or so. He just would not let me leave the room for weeks on end. He had to see some part of my body until he fell asleep (at the end it was just my hand on the rail). Recently he has done similar things, but I have sung to him (Red, red, the apple is red...) and he sings the last part of the song and settles because of it. That is when I can make my getaway safely.

Ok so if you are a parent and you let your kids run around being little assholes in public because you won't parent or put any effort into it when things go bad I will laugh at you. 

Also if you are paying so little attention that your kid almost falls head first through a window....

When they get old enough to just completely take the piss out of...

IMG_20180823_144848.JPG

IMG_20180823_144911.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Wait! Is your daughter a "Fatted calf"?

She's a 14 year old girl, so of course she thinks she's fat ?

Tell ya what, I'm not looking forward to when my daughter is a teenager. Scary times ahead!

Girls are crazy at any age

#hopeicansayatongueincheekcommentbeingthatits2018

16 hours ago, Lyger said:

Tell ya what, I'm not looking forward to when my daughter is a teenager. Scary times ahead!

The payoff is no longer having to worry about after-school care, school holidays, babysitting if you go out...

Although on that, IMO 14 is too old for simply being home alone, and too young for babysitting other than siblings, I think 12 and 16 is much more practical, but that's just me - my daughter has friends 15 / nearly 15 who still aren't allowed to be home after school by themselves, so I'm probably not in the majority!

Mine have been beating me home from work by half an hour or so since they were at intermediate, despite it being technically "illegal" what else are you supposed to do, really?

Best not to look into what's "illegal" when it comes to children, just go with what's sensible. 

The cotton wool commandos got hold of the law side of things and right royally fucked that up

The sad part is that some of the legitimate, 'yes that is a good change to make', stuff, just gets lost in the nonsense.

I need some help fellow parents. Yesterday my 17 month old  daughter has managed to hide 20 hair bows. My house is on 1 level and so far i have found a stockpile of 8 in a vase. Any recommendation as to the potential obscure places that the rest may be hidden?

Toybox, laundry baskets, bins, under sofas/beds and kitchen cupboards have all been checked and found wanting.

PlayStation, dvd, speakers, fire/heater