ZombieRawkMachine

Games You Have Recently Completed

18 hours ago, Coffee Addict said:

Thats pretty good going, alas no such luck with me as both my PS2s both died years ago. The OG had a technical fault and the replacement slim got run over whilst moving after Uni.

I bought my secondhand PS2 some years ago cheaply from EB. Then I recently bought a modded one on TradeMe to play US games. Crazy, eh?

Not for an RPG fan like me 😀. I'm so pleased I can now play games we never got in our region.

Sony seems to have stopped bringing PS2 classics to the PS4. Big shame.

Super Star Wars without losing any lives. Forgot how hard this game can be.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War.

Didn't enjoy it as much as the first one, but still not bad. Felt the Nemesis system wasn't as interesting second time around. Still got a few more trophies to mop up.

Finished Darksiders 3 recently.  Story was nothing to get excited about.  Graphics weren't great compared to most new releases.  Still, thoroughly enjoyable.  Combat was a blast.  No huge bloated sand box with thousands of collectibles to worry about.  Just good old hack n slash with some light platforming and puzzle solving. 

The Good, the Okay and the Ugly

During the first 2 months of 2020 I was unexpectedly given the time to crack on with some of my backlog and to feed my burgeoning trophy addiction. Last year after listening too much to Greg Miller I bought a handful of trophy games which sat hiding in my backlog like dirty secrets amongst games I genuinely had an interest in but hadn’t had the time. Chuck in some PS+ offerings and I’ve played some games that vary from the sublime to the downright horrible so I thought I would give you a heads up. Happy to answer any questions about them.  Listed from good to ugly.

The Good

1.     Star Wars Jedi: Fallen order – This was my favourite of the bunch. The game made me feel like a Jedi coming into their powers. Starting with only a select few you have to earn the right to be a force wielding powerhouse trying to rebuild the Order. The story and supporting characters were great and genuinely kept me hooked.

2.     Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice – This is one of the first games that after the credits rolled, I immediately went and watched the making of documentary. Really interesting take on psychosis and presented in both a horrifying and sympathetic way. Combined with a well told Norse story and simple but effective battle mechanics, this game is a true gem.

3.     BioShock 2 (PS Plus)– I missed this game out the first time round and played the other 2 games in the trilogy. Shorter, more colourful and again the amazing storytelling as seen in the original, this was well worth the return to Rapture. 

4.     BioShock (PS plus)– When this came out (Granted a little later for the PS3 then the other platforms) this was revolutionary. A shooter with a great storyline and ethical choices that had an impact to both how easy the game was and the end outcome. These may now be more common, but this was a first for me. The remaster showcases Rapture as I remember it though the combat feels slightly dated nowadays.

5.     Deponia – I just completed the first game of this point and click adventure series. Gives off a Monkey island vs Discworld vibe which I really like. Puzzles are logical, intuitive and funny. Control system isn’t perfect but serviceable.  I bought the quadrilogy for 30 bucks which is a complete steal. 

6.     The Little Acre – Another point and click adventure game – this time set in Ireland (Mostly) and well worth anyone’s time. Its short but well made with tight story, characters you want to get to know and a beautiful art style. 

The Okay

1.     Accounting+ (PSVR) – Loud, mostly funny and very colourful, the first VR game from the makers of Rick and Morty. It falls into the group of early VR experiences that are short and seem to finish just as you’re getting into it. 

2.     Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible lair – If you played the first game you know what to expect from the aesthetic but this game changes from the 3d platformer to the 2d side scrolling platformer which makes this game, in my opinion better than the first. Platforming was great and the mechanic where you can change the levels by unlocking different environmental factors (Flood, freeze, add hurricane etc) adds a great twist. I don’t know why but it just didn’t win me over like the first one did. At time of writing I am yet to complete the impossible lair!

3.     Burly Men at sea – A walking simulator with a simple but beautiful design where the fun arises from repetitive viewing an alternative choices. Short, pleasant but ultimately it runs out of steam.

4.     Goat simulator (PS Plus)– Never played one of these before and found it to be great fun. Glitchy as hell but that’s the point, often with glitches being beneficial. However what brought own the experience was that horrifying trophy requiring you to complete a flappy bird like game.

5.     Rime (PS Plus) – I had high hopes for this game, I had reviewed the other came developed by tequila works, the Sexy Brutale and that was a masterpiece. This time they made an adventure platformer with Journey feel to it. It felt like it missed the mark with the story being a little two obtuse and the platforming occasionally finickity.

6.     Mr Massagy – Okay, its got a slightly dodgy title and its made by the same crew that brought us ‘My name is Mayo’ but unlike its predecessor I found it funny. Yes it’s a trophy grab and a rather lackluster dating sim but I had some fun with it.

7.     36 Fragments of Midnight – Short, unexplained story but well-made platformer. Trophy grab but alright.

The Ugly

1.     The Sims 4 (PS Plus) – This is not my kind of game; I didn’t really give it a chance as I was in it solely for the Platinum (read addiction above) and did not play it the way it was designed. Unsurprisingly given the above I did not enjoy my experience. 

2.     My Name is Mayo – Trophy grab and repetitive strain injury to my thumb.

3.     Nubla – Tries to be an artsy game and set in an art gallery (I quite like exploring art galleries) Unfortunately the game has poor and highly frustrating controls.

4.     Drowning – A walking simulator attempting to give players the ability to experience depression. The story was interesting but the gameplay, art style and sound were terrible. 

Thanks for reading.

• Thanks 1
  • I'm Lovin' It 1

Doom Eternal.

Finished tonight having now collected all the collectibles and beaten the final boss and overall enjoyed it but man this one feels different. Think what it comes down to is they expanded on the glory kill, chainsaw system from Doom 2016 from a cool feature but not needed but nice to have health/ammo recovery in a pinch to those 2 and the flamethrower are now your primary resource generation in firefights. Gets weird because makes it so when I see a Imp I go "sweet right what am I short on" rather then seeing it as a threat and also in a middle of a large fight start going around going "where's a zombie? Imp? Something else weak I can chainsaw to get some chaingun ammo?" Just feels weird doing that but at least they keep a ready supply of the weak enemies spawning to allow this to occur without much issue. Still love all the little easter eggs and collectible stuff in it as well with my only real complaint being the Marauder... that thing just annoys me to fight and when one shows up I usually just sigh.

Bioshock.

Was nice going back to a game I haven't beaten in over 10 years. Actually think it's aged pretty well. Obviously this was the remastered version but the actual game/story is still pretty compelling despite having seen it all before. Not sure if I can be bothered going through it all again to get the trophies/collectibles I missed.

8 hours ago, iLythium said:

Bioshock.

Was nice going back to a game I haven't beaten in over 10 years. Actually think it's aged pretty well. Obviously this was the remastered version but the actual game/story is still pretty compelling despite having seen it all before. Not sure if I can be bothered going through it all again to get the trophies/collectibles I missed.

I agree, the remaster looks pretty decent and the story was definitely worth another go. Trophies weren't too bad to get... 

1 hour ago, Coffee Addict said:

I agree, the remaster looks pretty decent and the story was definitely worth another go. Trophies weren't too bad to get... 

I really only have a few left including beat the game on Hard/Survivor, get all the diaries/weapon upgrades and the couple I missed with Sander Cohen. Most of which would require basically replaying the entire game again.