Sign in to follow this  
NZBigC

Tech Help

Question

So recently, videos have been very choppy/laggy/horrible on my PC.  YouTube videos are fine, it's just the videos that are on my hard drive (specifically the ones that I capture using Elgato when I game). It doesn't matter if I use VLC or Windows Media Player, the video starts to lag every few seconds while it is playing. This never happened before. Any ideas why this is happening or how I can fix it?

9 answers to this question

Yeah spot on from the JorDogg - its what I would have said to try also. That is the best way to figure if its a HDD issue which sounds like it is.

And I agree that maybe a transfer then reformat might be in order..... but before doing that I'd try a few other things first. 

1. Go into your file explorer, right click the drive in question, click properties, then Tools tab, run both the 'error checking', then run the defrag/optimize. Then shut the computer down, leave it a bit, then turn on and try it again and see if videos still lag. I'd also try using the computer for a few days as sometimes after a big defrag I find the computer either feels great straight away or more often may feel sluggish for a couple days getting used to the change in where everything is re-ordered. Then try the videos again.

The optimize/defrag may take a long time if you havent run one in a long while and the drive is quite full or congested.

2. If still lagging, and before the reformat, maybe open the computer up and disconnect the connector cables to the HDD and motherboard, give the cable and header connections to both ends a clean/wipe, reconnect them... and try it again.

3. Failing both above steps, try the reformat.

4. Failing that.. a new HDD might be in order just in case.

• Like 1

Not sure but maybe your HDD is the problem. Try putting a movie that lags into an external hard then plug it into the same computer and play from the external HDD, if it dosnt lag then maybe your internal HDD is on its way out?

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JorDogg said:

Not sure but maybe your HDD is the problem. Try putting a movie that lags into an external hard then plug it into the same computer and play from the external HDD, if it dosnt lag then maybe your internal HDD is on its way out?

Wow... I spent such a long time searching on Google and no one said that. I just tried what you said and surely enough, the video worked well on the external but still choppy on the internal. Is there any way to fix it or do I need to buy a new one?

Hard to say, if you have the room you could transfer stuff off your internal HDD TO external and try a format of the drive, think there might be a fix/repair function in windows that could help too. Is you operating system on this harddrive top or is this a seperare media drive?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SpawnSeekSlay said:

defrag/optimize

This is what I was trying to remember!

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, JorDogg said:

This is what I was trying to remember!

Might need to get that 'PCs 101 for dummies' handbook back out and do some revision mate :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, SpawnSeekSlay said:

Yeah spot on from the JorDogg - its what I would have said to try also. That is the best way to figure if its a HDD issue which sounds like it is.

And I agree that maybe a transfer then reformat might be in order..... but before doing that I'd try a few other things first. 

1. Go into your file explorer, right click the drive in question, click properties, then Tools tab, run both the 'error checking', then run the defrag/optimize. Then shut the computer down, leave it a bit, then turn on and try it again and see if videos still lag. I'd also try using the computer for a few days as sometimes after a big defrag I find the computer either feels great straight away or more often may feel sluggish for a couple days getting used the the change in where everything is re-ordered. Then try the videos again.

The optimize/defrag may take a long time if you havent run one in a long while and the drive is quite full or congested.

2. If still lagging, and before the reformat, maybe open the computer up and deconnect the connector cables to the HDD and motherboard, give the cable and header connections to both ends a clean/wipe, reconnect them... and try it again.

3. Failing both above steps, try the reformat.

4. Failing that.. a new HDD might be in order just in case.

Cheers Spawn and JorDogg! I will definitely try this over the weekend. I have quite a bit of stuff on my my HDD so I guess it will take a while to defrag. I'll let you guys know how it works out once I've gone through all of these steps.

Thanks again!

Set the defrag up before you go to bed and let it do its thing while your asleep.

It's a good reminder to back up all your stuff to an external hard drive or use google photos to back up all your photos. 

Well it seems like step one did not change much. I'll give step 2 a go tomorrow morning. In regards to reformatting and/or getting an entirely new HDD, will I still have Windows 10?