Sign in to follow this  
Dkindahouse

What are your thoughts on eating in supermarkets?

I saw the article on Stuff about an Auckland New World having a sign saying they would fine you $5 if they caught you.  They put it up in response to finding empty packets but have since removed the sign.

I just wanted to see if it was a generation thing or depends how you were brought up.  As for myself I would never think of opening a packet before I paid for it but I also find it disgusting if people have bare feet there and think that people that wear pajamas there have no respect for themselves.

Will be interesting to see everyone's opinions & thoughts.

I wouldn't because I'm not a monster...I'm kidding of course, I wouldn't but I'm still a monster.

Haha when I was 18 I wore my pyjamas to the super market once, I got teased about it for nearly a decade so never did that again.  My Mum has let my toddler eat a single serve packet of something when she was walking around the supermarket which I get.

Personalty I don't though because you can use it as a motivator to be good for the whole trip.  "do you want x?...Well you have to be good all the way home" works better than "eat this so you're not annoying".

I get supermarket being apprehensive, I have had times in the past where I was buying food and I didn't have enough funds left so had to put it all back to replace it all with $1 loaves of bread.  If I had eaten it I don't know what would have happened because it's stealing at that point.

No free samples or fruit for children at that supermarket eh?

I don't think New World has that thing although I have seen it at Countdown.

Countdown has the free fruit thing. New world is seperate owners for each store though so every one has its own policies. Countdown is Aussie owned Aussie rules so all the same. 

I never thought anything wrong with opening stuff at supermarket but I never really considered people throwing rubbish out rather than paying for it, also possible for people to be unable to pay if they get to checkout and realise they lost eftpos or something. 

I don't do it.  it's just bad manners.
I'm a fat shit, and if I can wait to get around the supermarket before I stuff my face, then anyone else should manage to do so as well.

I don't eat in a supermarket, but if my 2 little ones are giving me a hard time I'll give them one of the squeezable yoghurts each, or and slice of luncheon or ham. Keeps them quiet and calm for 5-10mins. I've never had an issue at checkout handing over an empty yoghurt packet to scan or the tin foil to a Kinder Surprise that they managed to run to and rip open before I can chase them down.

I normally shop at PaknSave, but I do love the free piece of fruit at Countdown... works wonders on them.

i never do it , and its uncomfortable for me when people do to a point. but like above we get given a free piece of luncheon when the kids are with us which is appreciated.

When we shop at countdown or pack and save most of the time we get a few Cheerios for the kids. When we get them they usually ask if we want them open or sealed, we did it as kids as well I assumed it was a standard. Count down also has free fruit for the kids at the entrance. 

I wish they they served coffee I’d be happy to buy one on the way through ?

You're not supposed to as it is classed as stealing (when I was trained anyway) but usually as long as it's not an item that is priced by weight at the checkout we don't really care. I've heard stories of people eating straight out of the bulk bins though and apparently the reason we usually store oysters in a place where a staff member has to retrieve them is because people were taking a pot and walking around the store eating them and dumping the empty pot on a random shelf with no intention of paying for them.

I do find it quite rude though when an adult stands there while you're scanning and/or packing their groceries stuffing their face with a bag of chips, pie, etc.

I consider it stealing, so never do it and wouldn't if i had kids either.

The pajamas thing doesn't worry me either. Only thing that would was if someone stinked to high heaven, otherwise i couldn't care less what peeps wear.

@Dkindahouse - Our local New World does thank God, It keeps the little one preoccupied. I have never eaten food even from the pick and mix / nuts section prior to paying for it. That said once i have paid for it i have been known to devour a whole muffin before leaving the store.

I never do it.

As someone who done covert loss prevention for a few retailers and supermarkets for a while, I'd recommend you not do it unless you want someone undercover watching you your whole shopping.

Also the amount of people that open stuff in store, eat it then dump the packet in an aisle is ridiculous. With experience though I could tell most of the time who will pay and who won't.

My ex did it all the time and it drove me insane, she'd get grapes or bananas and start feeding the kids, a bit of pick n mix here and there. Hated it. Pak n Save normally give a slice of luncheon which is great and the fruit at count down is amazing but other than that you're steeling, and that's not on.

One time in New World, I was standing at the fruit area with my trolley and I saw a lady just come powering into the store walk up the to pick n mix, open a lid and grab a handful of lollies (literally just stuck her hand in there), walk off while chomping down and just start her shopping like normal.

I was staggered by how no care in the world nonchalant she did this, like she bloody owned the place.

Get the feeling from seeing it that she does this a lot, like its her shopping routine. :classic_rolleyes:

Didn't even close the lid afterwards just walked off and started browsing the fruit while stuffing her face.

*shakes head*

When I was little I'd get a bit of luncheon to eat while sitting at the front of the trolley thats about it. :classic_cool:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 7/10/2018 at 12:47 AM, LinkNZ said:

One time in New World, I was standing at the fruit area with my trolley and I saw a lady just come powering into the store walk up the to pick n mix, open a lid and grab a handful of lollies (literally just stuck her hand in there), walk off while chomping down and just start her shopping like normal.

I was staggered by how no care in the world nonchalant she did this, like she bloody owned the place.

Get the feeling from seeing it that she does this a lot, like its her shopping routine. :classic_rolleyes:

Didn't even close the lid afterwards just walked off and started browsing the fruit while stuffing her face.

*shakes head*

When I was little I'd get a bit of luncheon to eat while sitting at the front of the trolley thats about it. :classic_cool:

That's bonkers.

Even if you don't think it's stealing, don't stick your hand in there for the sake of other people.

Nope, it's stealing. On the rare occasion I do the groceries with our kids in tow (to test my performance under elevated blood pressure levels), they might get a piece of free fruit from the produce area in our local Countdown. Otherwise I agree with DM above; it's far better to bribe them with something for afterwards if they've given you a relatively low stress experience.