Sign in to follow this  
Drunk_Monk

Your first name - Do you like it?

So I read a stuff piece before about first names and people not liking theirs being too common.  Reading the comments had a lot of people like or not liking their names for many reasons.

So what about you people?  Do you like your first name? Do you not care? (don't have to share your first name if you don't want to).

Article:
https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/parenting/105721512/you-think-esmee-is-bad-try-being-a-kylie

My Mum says when she named me she had only ever met one Blair.  So thinking it was a very unique name that's what they went with...I had 3 Blair's in my classes up to College.

When we named our boy Darius, same thing.  I thought it was unique, never met a Darius, but knew of a league player so it sounded unique but normal to me...I've met about 5 in the last 2 years, one of which is my boy's age.  The boy may be in for the same experience.

I don't think I'd say I like my name, I'm pretty indifferent to it.  Fortunately not much rhymed with it so at least that's one thing the relentless bullying I grew up with didn't pick on.  

Mum told me one time what my name was going to be if I was a girl.  It was a super feminine double barrel girls name.  I cant remember exactly, but as a man who wears pink and purple a lot, watches Frozen all the time and cries all of the time at TV shows and movies, even I thought "that's a bit girly".  Fortunately my sister didn't get landed with it.

I hate mine. I was named after St Nickolas.

-.-

When I was like 4 a cousin of mine went out with a Blair and i couldn't say it so i called him Bear.

I've never had an issue with mine, just the way people assume spelling... Why people default to incorrect spelling I still have no fucking idea

My last name is the one I used to have issue with. It's kinda odd & often not only spelt wrong but said completely wrong like if your name was Popo but people kept spelling & saying Purple cause they're more familiar with it & went with the "I must have heard them wrong" or "must be a typo"
Still I've come to like my last name because of it's rarity, guess you could say it grew on me.

I've always kinda liked my first name - named after St Christopher because my folks wanted me to travel and experience the world. That may have backfired a little as i now live in the opposite hemisphere. Otherwise generally quite lucky, my parents didn't want a far out there names so they're all easy to spell/say/fit on passport.

Our daughter has an uncommon name, only met one other child with her name, she lives around the road somewhere, but for the last two x-mas' they both got the same bike (Trike first then 2wheeler the next) and went for a ride at the same time on xmas morning lol. 

As for my name, I like it, and surprisingly not many people have it. I dont even think I had a double up at school, let alone class. 

I was once in a class with an Eve though in primary, that was annoying as all hell. 

Well you don't really have much choice unless you change it by deed poll.  Not sure if it was a late '70s/early 80s thing but I have the common name of Daniel.  There were 3 of us in my year at Primary school, about 5 on dayshift at my first job at Foodstuffs and at least 3 of us from this forum.

It wasn't my fathers or grandfathers name and we aren't religious so the description of God is my judge doesn't make sense either.

I did get the Karate Kid reference of Daniel-san from some people and also in Japan where they add san.  I worked there with a guy Eric so he sounded like a phone Eric-san.

My name is common as but oh well.  It was I guess kind of annoying always having to be one of many, but then we also had multiple Jessicas, Sams, Nathans and variations on Catherine in the same year at primary school that it didn't really seem to matter. Also two Blairs.  I don't really like or dislike Sarah, it just is.  Pretty easy to spell, just have to sometimes tell people it is with an H, as they seem to default to it not being...  Except we once had a real estate agent, who through TWO sale and purchases, still couldn't get it right and was still writting it either "Serria" or "Sariah"

You can put money on if you meet a Sarah, her middle name is either Jane or Louise.
I know one who has both :classic_laugh:

Before I was born, my mum had a cat named Sarah.  My older sister used to tell me, that I was named after the cat.  She also used to call me Sarah-bal palsy.
Sometimes I still joke about being named after the cat when I want to wind my mum up.
Apparently we were both named Sarah cos she always liked the name, but her first husband hated it, so her first 4 girls didn't get named Sarah.  So she named her cat Sarah.  Then I came along, and my dad approved of it.  So there we go.

My surname caused me more trouble than my first.  It's a rather old-fashioned female first name, sometimes spelled with an extra R - so as a kid when giving my surname I was always being condescendingly "corrected" by people - "No dear, your LAST name.  Your FAMILY name".  Look, lady, I'm 8, not fucking retarded; I know what my name is.
Fucked if I was keeping my ex's name though. This is the lesser of two evils.

Funny story - my father's first wife, her first name was Dorreen
Being the fine, upstanding biblebasher she was trained to be, of course she didn't keep her maiden name, and spent the rest of her life as Dorreen Doreen.

As for my kids, well, we thought we were spelling my daughter's name the 'normal' way. Turns out not.  There's a few of her around but it's common enough to be normal without being overdone.  My son, though.  Major fail.  Oh, Oliver, we decided.  That's a nice name, it's not weird and it's not common at all.  I'd only ever known one Oliver in my life, and he was older than me.  Well it turned out to be one of the most popular baby names for boys by the end of that year.
He was meant to be a girl, and I was set on Fiona.

I hated my name when I was young, because everything rhymes with Nick, and you know what kids are like at school in those early years. I remember when I was 8 I told my parents in the car that I wanted to change my name by deed poll to Mark  LOL 

To this day I have no f*kn idea why it was Mark, and I'm shocked I even knew what deed poll was at 8?!?! 

I'm fine with my name. At school I thought it was cool having someone with the same name as me in a class, which is lucky seeing as Andrew is a fairly common name.

My name is Kevin and I'm not a big fan of it. Mostly because I'm named after my dad and I hated being called little/wee Kev throughout my childhood. Also I'm pretty sure I have no Irish in me so I dunno why the Irish name.

Haha my boy will. Probably have the same query as you TBG because I doubt we have any Persian in us. 

Names are just names these days (I didn't know that was Irish until just now) 

Eh Michael is a decent name so I don't mind it. That and I did some data entry for a Health Board once which made me glad I had this kind of name as... yeah there were some names on those Vaccination forms part of me prayed were fake or those kids were not going to make it through High School.

When I was in school I wasn't a big fan of my name, but as I grew older people started complimenting it and it's a pretty cool name so I'm happy about it. Being Middle Eastern and having a weird last name put together with my first I feel (and have been told by a recruiter) that it negatively affects my job opportunities because "Australians arr lazy racists"... Apparently.

I like my first name because it's pretty adaptable into Mor Ga Deth that's how you're supposed to pronounce my gaming tag. It's inspired by Megadeth. And various other reasons which I won't get into here.

I love and hate my name, because I used the Irish pronunciation for Brian before moving here (Vree-uhn), and because its spelled the same I basically had to change it.

That said, I'm named after Brian May, which is pretty rad.

My name sucks. Lee. WTF, honestly did they charge by the letter in the 70s... My old man keeps telling me (when he's drunk) that I was named after gypsy lee because of our Romanian heritage, my nan is as English as English get and my granddad was an orphan.... Stupid drunk dad. Mum wanted to call me James which I prefer but nope, stuck with Lee.

Well I have a very rare name. In fact all 3 of my names are rare, or the spelling at least. Got a bit of teasing at school as kids do but now I usually get complements. 

Tamryn. Apparently after a race horse. Then they realised they turned my dads name (Martyn) into a girls name, fancy that! 

Apparently I was named after an American toilet. My middle name got worse. My third name no one can pronounce and my last name rhythms with number two's in the first....

Not a fan of mine. But I really don't care any more.

Parents wanted a name that couldn't be shortened. 

Dean. Bleh.